[PROPOSAL][AMENDMENT] Change to Character Creation Bylaws
Kings of New York Proposes the following change to Character regulation bylaw 5.C. Which states:
c.Published Canon Characters
i.Characters that have been published by White Wolf are to be automatically considered controlled by the appropriate Coordinator and are thusly exempted from voting requirements to use these unique characters.
1.Should there be a conflict of custody of a published cannon character, the parties seeking joint control of the character can petition the Executive Team for mediation.
a.If the result of this mediation is a Binding Agreement, it has to be logged with the Archivist.
b.Council can object to the use of a particular published cannon character by a Coordinator and propose that it not be used for the remainder of the term of that Coordinator should there be significant concern that the published canon character is not being used responsibly.
c.Published Canon Characters
i. Characters that have been published by White Wolf are to be automatically considered controlled by the appropriate Sect Coordinator or Genre Coordinator in the case of non-Vampire the Masquerade NPCs and are thusly exempted from voting requirements to use these unique characters.
1. Sect Coordinator is defined as Camarilla, Sabbat, Anarch Coordinators. Each also controls the following sects: Camarilla: Ashiraa, Sabbat: Jati, Anarch: Laibon
2. If a Vampire the Masquerade Canon White Wolf Character does not have a listed sect, or is Independent, they will default to the appropriate Clan Coordinator.
3. For Vampire the Masquerade Canon Characters the Clan Coordinators may also use any Characters controlled by the Sect Coordinators for purposes of use within their purview of the clan they coordinate. Any use or interaction of these Canon Characters for use in Coordination of the appropriate clan, and not sect matters, must be sent to the appropriate controlling Sect Coordinator. Additionally, the Sect Coordinator has the right to Veto any action or use of a Canon Character which affects their genre, or a use outside of their intended purpose for Clan and not sect. That is to say, the Sect Coordinator has final say on any and all action a Vampire the Masquerade Canon Character does that they control.
4. Should a Conflict in this regards arise the Executive Team will mediate the dispute and make all final decisions in this matter.
5. Council can object to the use of a particular published cannon character by a Coordinator and propose that it not be used for the remainder of the term of that Coordinator should there be significant concern that the published canon character is not being used responsibly.
Additionally this proposal will allow for Grandfathering for chronicles who may have Canon White Wolf NPCs.
Reasoning: I expect several of the Clan coordinators will be upset by this proposal, So I feel the need to explain the rationale. When OWbN was formed the Clan Coordinators where the first Coordinators. They became known as the Justicoords. When OWbN was much smaller this was a fine working system as there weren’t too many cooks in the kitchens, as it were. However, we have grown some since then.
When I was Sabbat Coordinator one of the main reasons the genre has grown and been as successful as it has is because we never suffered that problem. For the most part the Clan Coordinators cared only about their Camarilla side for the longest time. So the Sabbat Coordinator became the one stop shop for all Sabbat game needs in OWbN. This resulted in quicker reply times, players could do more, and we could grow (and grow we have). This is largely due to the fact that when Jenn Bahrs passed the above Canon NPCs bylaw in 2010 (before that all Canon NPCs needed individual vote before use) we as Coordinators were then required to Log all our Canon NPCs. I was one of the few who actually did this. I also jokingly called this the “Jalan’Aajav” rule in the Sabbat side of OWbN. That is because back before this the Gangrel Coordinator used to use Jalan-Aajav (Canon Black Hand Gangrel Seraph who HATES Gangrel and kills them) come hang out at the Gangrel Gather events with Cam PCs. That’s not a thing that should happen. So Those NPCs became sole control of the Sabbat Coordinator office to prevent that sort of thing from ever happening again.
I often joke that I would NEVER be a Camarilla Coordinator. Largely because there are quite honestly too many cooks in the kitchen for it to work. Back when there was 20 Chronicles in OWbN? Sure, now that there’s over a hundred? Not so much. The current structure for this is outdated and needs to be fixed. Ask Jeff, how stifled Camarilla is because it requires 9 People to all agree for it to go anywhere. If you have meet most gamers, they tend to have Alpha type personalities. So getting them to agree…is rare. However it’s not the Coordinators that suffer, no it is the players and the genre that does. Camarilla is talked about as being stagnate and never changing. This isn’t because the Coordinators don’t want to do something. No, its more like more times than I can count, I have seen the Sect Coordinator wants to do something, the Clan coordinator disagrees and thus NOTHING happens because they can’t agree. This isn’t some theory or rumor. It happens, a lot. It’s a problem.
What I present is the solution. Again this isn’t another theory or idea…it is a tried and tested method. This has been the way for OWbN Sabbat since…the beginning and quite frankly…it works. We don’t have the Camarilla problem in Sabbat. And we are thankful for it. I think it’s time that got fixed. And this is how you do it.
This proposal actually mimics several BAs I had with several clan cords. Basically I would say “Look its cool if you want to use these Canon NPCs for you clan stuff. Keep me informed and I hold Veto rights.” It worked REALLY well. And I think it’s time the Camarilla benefited from that so it can grow and progress as well. Also Don’t Worry Independent Vampire Clan coords and other game line cords…those NPCs remain solely yours.
Long story short…Lets make Camarilla Great Again